His main research interests are U.S. religious and immigration history and the Progressive Movement. He completed a study covering Dutch emigration to the United States in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries: Freedom on the Horizon: Dutch Immigration to America, 1840-1940 (Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans Publishing Company, 2009).
BIO J.L. Krabbendam
- 2007- Lecturer, Roosevelt Academy
- 1997-present Assistant Director, Roosevelt Study Center
- 1995-1997 Postdoc fellow, Roosevelt Study Center
- 1990-1994 Ph.D. Candidate, Roosevelt Study Center
- 1988-1989 Graduate assistant History department, Kent State University
- 1986-1988 Research assistant educational children’s radio program
- The crossroads of immigration history, religious history, and Dutch-American relations.
- The interaction between religious beliefs and practices and ethnic identity within the Dutch subculture in the United States.
- Current research topic: The variety of religious imports from the United States in the Netherlands in the twentieth century.
- 1995 Ph.D. Degree from Leiden University, March 15, 1995
- 1990-1994 Roosevelt Study Center, Ph.D. Candidate
- 1988-1989 Kent State University, Kent, Ohio, MA Degree, December 19, 1989
- 1985-1988 Free University, Amsterdam, minor in Philosophy
- 1983-1988 Leiden University, History Department, MA Degree, June 24, 1988
- 1976-1982 Gymnasium Rotterdam
Awards and Honors
- 2009 Honorary Research Fellow, Hope College, Holland, Michigan
- 2003 Van Raalte Institute Research Fellow, Hope College, Holland, Michigan
- 2001 Salzburg Seminar Fellow (ASC 27)
- 1992 NWO scholarship (Netherlands Organization for Scientific Research)
- 1991 Fulbright Junior Scholarship
- 1989 Selected for the International Leadership Workshop on "U.S. Government and Foreign Policy," Washington, DC, October 21-28
- 1988 Nominated for the Saunders Awards of the Roosevelt Study Center, for the best Dutch MA dissertation in American History
- European Association for American Studies (co-editor of European Journal of American Studies)
- Organization of American Historians (Committee Member David Thelen Award)
- Netherlands American Studies Association (editor of the NASA-Newsletter)
- Conference on Faith and History
- Association of Christian Historians (editor-in-chief Transparant 1990-2000)
- Member Association for Reformational Philosophy
- Member Editorial Advisory Board of Church History and Religious Culture